Foodie 10: Caper Pasta Experiment

I was about to pull out the pre-packaged stir fry from Costco, but I already had some noodles doused in olive oil in the refrigerator from the other night. Further, I had purchased some capers the night before, which I have never used in cooking before now. I've had capers and I know how they can add a nice kick to whatever dish uses them appropriately, so I thought I'd read some recipes and give it a try.

I found a recipe online for a simple garlic and caper sauce. Sadly, I didn't have any garlic (or lemon juice) and I was too lazy to go out and get some (forgive me for my garlic sins, Jesse!). Instead, I melted a couple tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan, added 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth to simmer on high, and then added a couple spoonfuls of drained capers, 1/4 cup of sliced black olives, a 1/2 cup of chopped marinated artichoke hearts, and then simmered it down to a reduced sauce. I also added some dried basil, salt, and pepper. 

Some Italian sausage searing while I make the sauce
The caper sauce, made with butter, chicken broth, capers, olives, artichokes, basil, salt, and pepper
The meal, put together, with a ginger beer in the upper left (courtesy of the Martins' fridge)
For those of you more educated in the culinary arts than I, you probably could have told me the artichokes were going to take over. It wasn't bad, but the vinegar and salt from the ingredients was a bit overpowering. If I were to do it again, I would definitely not skip the garlic. I would leave out the artichokes, or at least go a bit lighter on the portion of artichokes included. Further, while black olives were not in the original recipe I looked up, I think I would still try to include them.

Let me know in the comments if you have made a similar dish. Please, critique my experiment. I already know the dish can improve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nerd-Code Snippets 3: Bash Minecraft Install Scripts

Arduino & Tri-Colored LEDs

TinkerTech 2: CNC Notify Part 1