Fixed Opening SWF Files in Linux

I'm putting this up for future reference because the issue was driving me nuts. I very often use a flash timer when trying to budget my time on a computer. There is one in particular that I especially like from www.online-stopwatch.com which allows you to build a custom queue of alarms. That sight allows you to download the SWF file of almost all of their online timers, and this is useful to me because I can then run it simply by typing

google-chrome --app=file:///location/to/swf/file.swf

at the command line. 

Except for recently. Lately, when I tried to open the flash-timer, chrome would try to just download it again. It took me forever to find the solution, but I finally came across it on an ArchLinux forum.

I've copied it here for redundancy.

Edit  /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml and change

<mime-type type="application/vnd.adobe.flash.movie">

to

<mime-type type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

and then run

update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

Worked like a charm after that. Apparently it has to do something with an update in freedesktop. Spent a bunch of time trying to find that solution, unfortunately. Well, at least its solved now...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arduino & Tri-Colored LEDs

Nerd-Code Snippets 3: Bash Minecraft Install Scripts

Solar Cell Characteristics